Here are a few candle safety tips to review before you light your next candle.
1. Don’t leave burning candles unattended, even if you’re going for a short walk with Fido.
2. Keep candles away from anything flammable, including bedding, curtains, and papers.
3. If your candle is in a candle holder, the holder should be sturdy enough to avoid being easily knocked over. Skip the wobbly pedestal holders.
4. Candles should be placed where children and pets can’t reach them. Also, never underestimate their climbing abilities.
5. The National Candle Association recommends that candlewicks be trimmed to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long wicks can cause uneven burning and dripping.
6. Keep the pool of wax in the candle clear of debris such as wick trimmings.
7. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for candle use. Most candles should be burned for only a couple of hours at a time.
8. Extinguish candles with a candle snuffer rather than blowing them out. Hot wax can splatter with just a puff of breath.
9. Keep a fire extinguisher on hand in case something goes horribly wrong. Check out these top fire extinguishers to find one for your home.
Flameless candles are a safe alternative to lit candles and produce a similar soft, glowing effect. Also, lit candles are not recommended for use during power outages, so use battery-powered flashlights, lanterns, and even flameless candles instead.