Bedrooms are the most common spot in the house for electrical fires to start—about 15% of residential electrical fires begin there.1,4 And these fires have a high potential for tragedy since they often happen when people are asleep.5
These fires are often due to faulty or overtaxed wiring or malfunctioning lighting,6 but bedroom fires also start with cords, space heaters, or electric blankets.7 Bedding, carpeting, draperies, and other creature comforts of your bedroom are often the first items ignited in a fire.1
Some tips for preventing fires in the bedroom:
- Quickly address any loose or otherwise unsafe-looking wall outlets.
- Replace extension cords, chargers, lighting cords, or other power cords as soon as they show signs of wear. If you can see the wires, it’s time for a replacement. You can have lighting shops rewire favorite lamps if the cord is worn out.
- Don’t overload outlets by plugging in too many devices, power strips, or extension cords. Unplug devices when they’re not in use or find different spots for them.
- Place space heaters at least three feet from anything that could catch fire.
- Kids often experiment with fire in secret spots like under their bed or in the closet, and 40% of structure fires started by children happen in the bedroom.5,8 Teach children not to play with matches or lighters, and help them understand how fire ignites and spreads.